Type: New Feature
Affects Version/s: 1.9.4
Fix Version/s: None
Component/s: Patch: Paintweb
Most of online (webbased) interaction is via forms – a text-heavy approach. Young children find it easier to paint and draw.
If we can switch the WYSISWYG HTML editors in forms with a paint here facility, then we make webbased tools easier for them.
- Additional notes at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Moodle_design#What_You_Paint_Is_What_You_Get_editor
- An initial exploration of existing tools http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=110902
- Moodle is using a WYSIWYG editor called TinyMCE - that is a possible integration point.
- Implementation idea: write a vector-based "paint" facility in JS that runs in the browser.
- Implementation idea: write a vector or bitmap paint facility in Flash, bearing in mind that OLPC ships Gnash instead of Adobe's Flash.
- Performance matters - the OLPC XO has a relatively low power CPU, so image editing has to be tuned / optimised to be responsive.
The complexity of this project is high.
This feature idea comes from the OLPC project – see http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Project_Ideas#Moodle