1/ I made a mistake when fixing
MDL-6099 , the result is that the status code of module restores was ignored since 1.6
2/ the roles restore code resets the $status - we have decided to restore the roles anyway so that teacher have at least some roles in the new course - to be fixed in 2,0
3/ restore logging code resets the $status too - this is not a critical problem - will be ignored
After discussion with Eloy we have decided to enable the status check again in 1.9.
Please note that this might affect some old buggy backups or 3rd party modules with problematic restore code - the symptoms would be that restore does not complete and complains about module restore problems, though previously in 1.8 it did not complain and just ignored the errors...