Moodle
  1. Moodle
  2. MDL-1491

Glossary potentially makes html invalid

    Details

    • Type: Bug Bug
    • Status: Closed
    • Priority: Trivial Trivial
    • Resolution: Fixed
    • Affects Version/s: 1.3
    • Fix Version/s: None
    • Component/s: Glossary
    • Labels:
      None
    • Environment:
      All
    • Affected Branches:
      MOODLE_13_STABLE
    • Rank:
      13857

      Description

      If I post something in HTML format, with a valid <a> element, but the link text contains a recognised glossary term, a nested <a> element is introduced for the glossary item, which makes the resulting html invalid and behaviour unpredictable.

        Activity

        Hide
        Martin Dougiamas added a comment -

        From Eloy Lafuente (stronk7 at moodle.org) Saturday, 29 May 2004, 07:37 AM:

        Opps.

        teorically, the glossary filter avoids to modify text inside <a> tags. I'll test it tomorrow carefully.

        Anyway could it be possible for you to attach one txt file containing your exact resource html text and the term breaking things... To test exactly your situation...

        TIA and ciao, Eloy

        From barry mcmullin (barry.mcmullin at dcu.ie) Saturday, 29 May 2004, 04:14 PM:

        I encountered the problem when submitting a forum message (as

        HTML format):

        http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=8403&parent=40271

        The glossary word causing difficulty is XHTML. I don't have the

        original HTML fragment I submitted anymore; but I have

        reconstructed it (more or less) as the attachment globug.html

        (also uploaded as globug.html.txt so it can be viewed in plain

        form easily).

        The glossary still added an extra A element around XHTML, thus

        breaking it. (I eventually worked around it by duplicating my

        own hyperlink on the words before and after XHTML, and leaving

        XHTML out of the link text...)

        Does that explain it?

        From Eloy Lafuente (stronk7 at moodle.org) Sunday, 30 May 2004, 07:54 AM:

        Thanks for your example!!!

        I think I've detected it! The reason is the newline after the begin of the link (<a). The filter seems to fail here not detecting that part of the text as a link and making substitutions inside it.

        If you edit your post/example and move the <a text to the next line it should work!!

        Anyway, I'm currently making some modifications to avoid this issue.

        Thanks again,

        From Eloy Lafuente (stronk7 at moodle.org) Sunday, 30 May 2004, 08:19 AM:

        Hi barry,

        I've done one slightly modification to the filter code and now it takes care about newlines after the <a html code.

        I've sent it to you by email.

        I've marked this issue as fixed. Please it everything is working fine, close it definitively.

        Thanks and ciao, Eloy

        This bug must be checked in resource, activitynames and wikititles too!!

        From barry mcmullin (barry.mcmullin at dcu.ie) Sunday, 30 May 2004, 04:14 PM:

        OK, I've installed the modified glossary/filter.php on a test server and verified that it corrects the problem on my test case. Changing bug status to closed.

        Heck of a job Eloy - many thanks!

        Show
        Martin Dougiamas added a comment - From Eloy Lafuente (stronk7 at moodle.org) Saturday, 29 May 2004, 07:37 AM: Opps. teorically, the glossary filter avoids to modify text inside <a> tags. I'll test it tomorrow carefully. Anyway could it be possible for you to attach one txt file containing your exact resource html text and the term breaking things... To test exactly your situation... TIA and ciao, Eloy From barry mcmullin (barry.mcmullin at dcu.ie) Saturday, 29 May 2004, 04:14 PM: I encountered the problem when submitting a forum message (as HTML format): http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=8403&parent=40271 The glossary word causing difficulty is XHTML. I don't have the original HTML fragment I submitted anymore; but I have reconstructed it (more or less) as the attachment globug.html (also uploaded as globug.html.txt so it can be viewed in plain form easily). The glossary still added an extra A element around XHTML, thus breaking it. (I eventually worked around it by duplicating my own hyperlink on the words before and after XHTML, and leaving XHTML out of the link text...) Does that explain it? From Eloy Lafuente (stronk7 at moodle.org) Sunday, 30 May 2004, 07:54 AM: Thanks for your example!!! I think I've detected it! The reason is the newline after the begin of the link (<a). The filter seems to fail here not detecting that part of the text as a link and making substitutions inside it. If you edit your post/example and move the <a text to the next line it should work!! Anyway, I'm currently making some modifications to avoid this issue. Thanks again, From Eloy Lafuente (stronk7 at moodle.org) Sunday, 30 May 2004, 08:19 AM: Hi barry, I've done one slightly modification to the filter code and now it takes care about newlines after the <a html code. I've sent it to you by email. I've marked this issue as fixed. Please it everything is working fine, close it definitively. Thanks and ciao, Eloy This bug must be checked in resource, activitynames and wikititles too!! From barry mcmullin (barry.mcmullin at dcu.ie) Sunday, 30 May 2004, 04:14 PM: OK, I've installed the modified glossary/filter.php on a test server and verified that it corrects the problem on my test case. Changing bug status to closed. Heck of a job Eloy - many thanks!
        Hide
        Michael Blake added a comment -

        assign to a valid user

        Show
        Michael Blake added a comment - assign to a valid user

          People

          • Votes:
            0 Vote for this issue
            Watchers:
            0 Start watching this issue

            Dates

            • Created:
              Updated:
              Resolved: