1) Enable groupings (experimental option)
2) Create a new course
3) Create a new grouping
4) Set the default grouping
1) Create a new Label, Resource, or Glossary
2) Click 'Show advanced'
- Observe that the grouping is both set (to the default you mentioned), and also disabled
3) Save the label/resource/glossary
- Observe that the grouping is shown next to the item, even though it won't do anything
These modules do not support groups, so grouping is only useful when the 'group members only' feature is enabled. Consequently, the UI correctly disables the grouping option unless you tick that checkbox. However the grouping option remains on, which is confusing.
The solution is to make it so that these three modules have a default grouping of none, even when the course has a default grouping. Users who turn on 'group members only' can then select a grouping if required, but it will not display otherwise.
Obviously a minor problem but this was confusing our staff...