Resolution: Won't Fix
Affects Version/s: 1.9.5
Fix Version/s: None
currently restore works like so:
1. Login as admin
2. Create a sample course (course A) that starts on May 1, 2009 with one assignment due on May 7, 2009.
3. Take a backup of the course and download the backup file.
4. Upload the backup file to another course (course B) with a different start date.
5. Restore the backup to a new course using the default start date (May 1, 2009).
6. Look at the details of the assignment in the new course. The due date should still be May 7, 2009 but will instead be something different. (It will be offset relative to course B instead of using the date provided in the restore.)
how it seems to be expected to work"
If backup A is created from a course A then the restore function is used from course B:
If a new course is created from backup A it will use the backups start date and the date entered in the form to set the offset for activities or events.
If the backup is restoring to the current course and deleting it first then it will use the backups start date and course B's start date.
If the backup is restoring to an existing course C and deleting it first then it will use the backup A's start date and C's start date.
If the backup is restoring to the current course and adding data to it then for all the added data the offset will be from backup A and the date submitted in the form.
If the backup is restoring to an existing course and adding data to it then for all the added data and the offset will be from backup A and the date submitted in the form.
This is how most people probably assumed the backup system worked. This patch will allow you to use the restore forms start date to offset the course and it's activities as expected.