Since Moodle 2.0 iconv is required by Moodle installations.
This give us the opportunity to end using some Typo3 libraries we have been using since Moodle 1.6 in order to provide UTF-8 string operations. Typo3 has been really useful as it provided one nice fallback between iconv/mbstring/custom unicode handling, but as far as we know that iconv is always available, we should be able to switch to own library.
- Complete testing coverage of current textlib.php
- Implement new unicodelib for all those operations
- Make textlib wrapper to use the new unicodelib by default (keeping typo3 there available controlled by CFG setting "just in case" problems arrive).
- Ensure all tests pass both using unicodelib and typo3
- Release (2.1.x)
- After 2.1.x+3 without problems reported, if typo3 isn't necessary anymore... drop it. Thanks Typo3!