Moodle
  1. Moodle
  2. MDL-26376

Saving Shibboleth setting gets invalid get_string() identifier error

    Details

    • Type: Bug Bug
    • Status: Closed
    • Priority: Minor Minor
    • Resolution: Fixed
    • Affects Version/s: 2.0.1
    • Fix Version/s: 2.0.2
    • Component/s: Authentication
    • Labels:
    • Environment:
      Fresh Moodle 2.0.1 install; enabled Shibboleth plugin; never set auth_instructions field.
    • Difficulty:
      Easy
    • Affected Branches:
      MOODLE_20_STABLE
    • Fixed Branches:
      MOODLE_20_STABLE

      Description

      I am getting this error message when I configure the Shibboleth plugin the first time on my test server.

      Invalid get_string() identifier: 'shibboleth_instructions' or component 'auth'
       
          * line 6058 of /lib/moodlelib.php: call to debugging()
          * line 6613 of /lib/moodlelib.php: call to core_string_manager->get_string()
          * line 245 of /auth/shibboleth/auth.php: call to get_string()
          * line 27 of /admin/auth_config.php: call to auth_plugin_shibboleth->process_config()}}

      Workaround: But once I added the following to this file, 'lang/en/auth.php', the error goes away.

      $string['shibboleth_instructions'] = 'Some text here.';

      To reproduce this issue after you tried the workaround, make sure you

      • clear the cache by calling 'admin/purgecaches.php';
      • reset the value of auth_instructions in table mdl_config_plugins to [[shibboleth_instructions]].
      • remove this line $string['shibboleth_instructions'] = 'Some text here.'; from lang/en/auth.php.
        It took me a while to figure this out.

        Gliffy Diagrams

          Activity

          Hide
          Charles Fulton added a comment -

          I'm pretty sure those individual instructions were all deprecated in favor a unified setting (cf MDL-9214). Assuming that's the case I wrote a quick patch to remove all the references and get rid of the incorrectly-named string call: https://github.com/mackensen/moodle/compare/mdl-26376. There's also an issue with a possibly-unset variable getting checked but that belongs in its own tracker item.

          Show
          Charles Fulton added a comment - I'm pretty sure those individual instructions were all deprecated in favor a unified setting (cf MDL-9214 ). Assuming that's the case I wrote a quick patch to remove all the references and get rid of the incorrectly-named string call: https://github.com/mackensen/moodle/compare/mdl-26376 . There's also an issue with a possibly-unset variable getting checked but that belongs in its own tracker item.
          Hide
          Petr Skoda added a comment -

          Should be fixed in the next weekly build, thanks for the report.

          petr

          Show
          Petr Skoda added a comment - Should be fixed in the next weekly build, thanks for the report. petr
          Hide
          Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) added a comment -

          Would be great to get some feedback with upgraded version after Wednesday, just to check the problem has been fixed.

          TIA and ciao

          Show
          Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) added a comment - Would be great to get some feedback with upgraded version after Wednesday, just to check the problem has been fixed. TIA and ciao

            People

            • Votes:
              0 Vote for this issue
              Watchers:
              1 Start watching this issue

              Dates

              • Created:
                Updated:
                Resolved: