The purpose of this modification is to allow an assignment to which individuals can contribute together, as a team, to a common submission. Although the submission is created as a team, each member of the team is still graded individually, to allow for the maximum flexibility. The teams are based on group membership within the course.
When an assignment is created, an option has been added for the creator to designate the assignment as a "Team Assignment", meaning each member of the team contributes toward the same submission. This option is only available when the assignment is in a 'group mode' other than 'none'.
- When an instructor grades the assignment, each member of the team is graded individually.
- Team submissions are denoted as such in the grading view, and show the team name.
- Once an individual has been graded, the grading view also indicates that this was originally a team submission.
- The grades that are entered into the gradebook are specific to an individual only.
- If downloading a zip of all assignments, team submission files are prepended with the name of the team, not the name of the specific individual.
- When student submit files to the assignment, all team members contribute to the same submission.
- Everyone within the same team can manage the submission.
- Each team member can add files, remove, rename, etc.
- Any member of the team can 'send for marking'
The need for this feature was identified as a 'blocker' for the upgrade to 2.0.x of our own implementation of Moodle at Royal Roads University. We've written the required code to implement this feature, along with a guide on usage, implementation, testing, etc. and would like to contribute it back, as we've seen the request for the same feature elsewhere. I've attached the documentation and the 2.0.2 patch.