Affects Version/s: 2.0.3, 2.3.4, 2.3.7, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6.5, 2.7.2, 2.8.1, 3.9.1
Fix Version/s: STABLE backlog
Component/s: Activity completion
Environment:Centos 5.5, PHP 5.2.10, Apache 2.2.8, MySQL 5.0.8 but have also tested on PHP 5.3.6, MySQL 5.5.13
Moodle 2.0.3+ (Build: 20110525)
Affected Branches:MOODLE_20_STABLE, MOODLE_23_STABLE, MOODLE_24_STABLE, MOODLE_25_STABLE, MOODLE_26_STABLE, MOODLE_27_STABLE, MOODLE_28_STABLE, MOODLE_39_STABLE
When a resource or activity is setup to auto-complete when opened or viewed (In new Window or Pop-up) by a user it does not update the status to completed for that activity until the page is refreshed. This causes any resources or activities that was then configure to only display once the previous activity or resource was completed not to display until the page is refreshed. We wanted the users to click or open these activities / resources and then only would the next course or test material be available. In this example I only used PDF files but on our site we use SCROM packages and additional "Restrict access conditions", e.g Require a certain mark in a previous test.
I did post this issue on the forum (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=176741&parent=775613) and Sam Marshall suggested logging a bug.
Please find complete setup and test procedures below with additional attachments:
1. Setup New Course
2. Enrol Normal users to this course
3. Add File Resource (PDF) in General Area (Named Introduction Document)
1. File Download Options:
2. No - restrict access conditions
3. Add Activity completion:
Choose Show activity completed when conditions are met
Ticked - Students must view this activity to complete it
4. Save and return to course.
5. Add File Resource (PDF) to Section 1 (Named Subject1)
1. File Download Options:
Restrict access conditions
• Choose under Activity Completion condition to: "Introduction Document" "must be marked completed"
• Choose under : Before activity can be accessed: "Hide activity entirely"
Add Activity completion:
• Choose Show activity completed when conditions are met
• Ticked - Students must view this activity to complete it
6. Save and return to course.
7. Repeat the above steps multiple times - (Named Subject2, Subject3, Subject4 and Subject5)
8. Login as Normal User:
1. As this Normal user I can only view the "Introduction Document"
2. Click on Document Link
3. Document opens in New Window / Or downloads, depending on browser used.
4. The "Introduction Document" resource "Completion Status does not change
5. User can't see new or other activities
6. Normal user have to refresh page before "Subject1" document is visible
9. This process now repeats for all items that are configured this way and users can't view the next activity (resources or activities that have been configure this way) until they refresh their browser.
I know if we use "Automatic, embedded or just the open" file download options the page will get refreshed because the link opens in the current window, but it would be nice if the page would refresh when the open link is clicked.