The chat activity previously had a help popup but it somehow got removed or moved.
- Smilies - Any smiley faces (emoticons) that you can type elsewhere in Moodle can also be typed here, for example
- Links - Website addresses will be turned into links automatically
- Emoting - You can start a line with "/me" or ":" to emote, for example if your name is Kim and you type ":laughs!" or "/me laughs!" then everyone will see "Kim laughs!"
- Beeps - You can send a sound to other participants by clicking the "beep" link next to their name. A useful shortcut to beep all the people in the chat at once is to type "beep all".
- HTML - If you know some HTML code, you can use it in your text to do things like insert images, play sounds or create different coloured text'
There are a few areas in Moodle, such as this, where it is necessary to provide user help.