Currently Moodle has a map feature for IP address lookup (under /iplookup), but there are additional places that maps could be useful, so having shared map functions would be a good idea:
- Contrib plugins already exist for showing online users on a map , searching for places specified by a CSV upload , but they use their own map code.
- I'm developing a Database activity enhancement to display LatLong fields on maps .
- I don't know if it's important, but
MDLSITE-2478could use a shared map. I imagine others could think of some interesting ways of using it as well.
I've a proof of concept up at .
At this point I'm wondering whether MoodleHQ would accepted something like this into core, so it's available for iplookup, my Database patches (or a new field), and any other plugins.
- Use OSM maps
- Ammend core settings (replacing/augmenting googlemapkey3):
- enable/disable JS maps
- Helper functions to add maps to pages, and plot markers/vectors/popups on them.
- Maps for inputting geo data
† There are other map libs, e.g.:
- OpenLayers - older, larger, with more features than I think we need here.
- Modest Maps - fairly minimal, with fewer
- Polymap - looks interesting for data mapping, but not sure how useful that would be in Moodle.
...however, I'm most familiar with Leaflet and feel it hits the right features/weight balance (e.g. includes geoJSON, but avoids complications with projections), so think it's the right place to start.
Possible future features:
- Add/ammend core settings to:
- Choose map provider (e.g. OSM, Google, Cloudmade, etc.)
- Reverse geocoding
What's the best way for me to proceed?