"Coding style change" refer to the situation when inline comments, spaces, indentation, variable/funciton names are changed to comply with Moodle coding styles.
This issue is not about phpdocs changes.
Can we accept such changes in the following cases:
1. Several lines are changed to compy with Coding Style in the same commit as bug fix/improvement and are in the same piece of code as the actual fix.
2. Many coding style lines are changed in the same file as actual bug fix/improvement.
- in the same commit as bug fix
- in the separate commit
3. Coding style is improved in the file that was not affected in the actual bug fix/improvement
4. There is a separate issue that changes the coding styles only
- in one often used library file or accompanies the issue with bug fix in the same file
- massive change in many files
- the issue also contains unittests or behat tests that ensure that each changed file/function is tested
- the issue changes the files that were not modified for a long time
5. "Change that does not break anything if accidentally backported in some cherry-pick of bugfix".
- for example: change function call $OUTPUT->BOX() to $OUTPUT->box()
Cons of coding style changes:
- possibility of creating a new bug
- possibility of creating problem later when working on bug and changing the same lines (for example, new variable name is cherry-picked into the stable version)
- git blame does not show actual code changes