Affects Version/s: 2.7.1, 2.7.7, 2.8.3
Component/s: HTML Editor (Atto)
- In MS Word, create a document with a copyright symbol.
- Copy the text and paste it into the HTML editor.
- Save and confirm the symbol appears correctly in the saved text.
Affected Branches:MOODLE_27_STABLE, MOODLE_28_STABLE
Fixed Branches:MOODLE_27_STABLE, MOODLE_28_STABLE
Pull from Repository:
Pull Master Branch:
Pull Master Diff URL:
Atto has a cleanHTML() function (run both when the text is saved, and when using Undo) that replaces certain non-ASCII characters with ASCII renderings, e.g.
- "½" -> "1/2"
- "©" -> "(c)"
- "…" -> "..."
As UTF-8 handling is better now than in 2006, and the ASCII rendeerings are quite ugly, filtering of these extended characters should be removed.
Additionally - given that TinyMCE doesn't do this filtering - this could be considered a regression in functionality resulting from making Atto the default editor.
- Create Page activity.
- Enter some text including extended charcters "½©…" - e.g. this line.
- Make some of the text bold.
- Use the Undo function to remove the bold formatting.
Expected results: No change to the extended characters.
Actual results: The extended characters are replaced with ASCII renditions.
Forum discussion: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=265622