Details

    • Type: Bug Bug
    • Status: Closed
    • Priority: Trivial Trivial
    • Resolution: Fixed
    • Affects Version/s: 1.5.3
    • Fix Version/s: 1.9
    • Component/s: Administration
    • Labels:
      None
    • Environment:
      All
    • Affected Branches:
      MOODLE_15_STABLE
    • Fixed Branches:
      MOODLE_19_STABLE

      Description

      I just wanted to make a note here of something weird that happened to me and that could be a potential problem (I have no idea). I had created a new block and called it (unfortunately) course_section. I went to the admin/blocks page and deleted this block, then clicked on the Administration link in the breadcrumbs and my installation begain installing moodle again (of course there were errors since everthing was already installed). Then, when I went to my courses, everything was gone from the course sections--the stuff is still there somewhere, for example, you can go to the activities/resources from the links in the log tables, but it does not show up on the course homepage or the index pages. (Luckily this was a test site). After looking at my db, the only thing I could find was that the the last two fields in the course_sections table were gone (available and deadline).

      Is it possible that because this block had a file called block_course_section.php, that when it was deleted it also deleted fields from the course_sections table? If so, then I'm wondering if this is a potential problem for other mods or blocks, or was this just a fluke?

        Gliffy Diagrams

          Issue Links

            Activity

            Hide
            Martin Dougiamas added a comment -

            From Chardelle Busch (chardelle at lifeworkouts.com) Saturday, 18 February 2006, 09:58 AM:

            BTW, after renaming the block to block_section, this problem went away--that's why I think it was something to do with the name.

            From non non (nbhansen at midway.uchicago.edu) Sunday, 19 February 2006, 03:15 AM:

            Chardelle-I don't know the answer to your problem, but did you delete the block files from your server immediately after uninstalling it? That is supposed to be standard operating procedure for deleting any block or module.

            From Chardelle Busch (chardelle at lifeworkouts.com) Sunday, 19 February 2006, 04:37 AM:

            Hi N,

            Yes, that isn't the problem--all that does is make sure that the next time you hit admin it doesn't reinstall whatever you deleted. But, I did want to mention that deleting the block directly from the db was okay, so this is some sort of bug with the admin delete page I think.

            Show
            Martin Dougiamas added a comment - From Chardelle Busch (chardelle at lifeworkouts.com) Saturday, 18 February 2006, 09:58 AM: BTW, after renaming the block to block_section, this problem went away--that's why I think it was something to do with the name. From non non (nbhansen at midway.uchicago.edu) Sunday, 19 February 2006, 03:15 AM: Chardelle-I don't know the answer to your problem, but did you delete the block files from your server immediately after uninstalling it? That is supposed to be standard operating procedure for deleting any block or module. From Chardelle Busch (chardelle at lifeworkouts.com) Sunday, 19 February 2006, 04:37 AM: Hi N, Yes, that isn't the problem--all that does is make sure that the next time you hit admin it doesn't reinstall whatever you deleted. But, I did want to mention that deleting the block directly from the db was okay, so this is some sort of bug with the admin delete page I think.
            Hide
            Dan Poltawski added a comment -

            Petr fixed this recently in MDL-6786 for 1.9

            Show
            Dan Poltawski added a comment - Petr fixed this recently in MDL-6786 for 1.9

              People

              • Votes:
                0 Vote for this issue
                Watchers:
                0 Start watching this issue

                Dates

                • Created:
                  Updated:
                  Resolved: