After using random allocation to successfully allocate large numbers of submissions in the first two Learn Moodle MOOCs, this time we ran into a problem: instead of receiving 5 submissions to assess, many participants received more.
We were using scheduled allocation for the first time, together with automatic switching to the next phase after the submissions deadline.
An hour after assessment phase opened, I noticed participants were assigned 10 submissions, rather than 5 and that the number of reviews was set to 5 per submission, rather than per reviewer.
I first tried to fix the problem in the scheduled allocation tab, and ticked the reset checkbox (not understanding what it did!) then saved changes. I tried a few other things too (can't remember exactly what). I noticed then that the status was 'Executed on 27 August 2015, 7:46 PM' when previously it said 6:00 PM (the time of the submission - assessment phase change).
I then realised I should be using the random allocation tab (which I'd used successfully in the past to change from 5 reviews per submission to per reviewer). After running random allocation, with 'Remove current allocations' ticked, I found that people who has already assessed some submissions, were given more.
Also, there remained 1 submission left to allocate. (In the past, repeatedly running random allocation meant that there were no submissions left to allocate.)
With such a large number of submissions (over 600) it was unfortunately impossible to use manual allocation to fix the problem, or to identify the 1 submission left to allocate. Fortunately, our Learn Moodle participants have been very good natured, and have enjoyed participating in a workshop activity, and have not minded being given extra submissions to assess (source: Willing to assess more assignment on Workshop: My home country).