Affects Version/s: 3.1.3, 3.2, 3.3, 3.5.5, 3.6.7, 3.7.3, 3.8.6
Fix Version/s: None
Component/s: LTI provider
Affected Branches:MOODLE_31_STABLE, MOODLE_32_STABLE, MOODLE_33_STABLE, MOODLE_35_STABLE, MOODLE_36_STABLE, MOODLE_37_STABLE, MOODLE_38_STABLE
I have a course setup on my moodle site which is sharing content using the publish as LTI tool. Next i have a blackboard site setup which i am using as a consumer of the lti links. On this site i have a student user which im using to access the lti content, however even though I am using the same student (with same first, last name and email address) to access the different lti links, my moodle site is creating a separate user for each lti link that i click on so i end up with many duplicates of the same user.
I have checked that "Allow accounts with same email" is set to no under authentication settings and also tried to create user accounts with the same email manually and by uploading a csv. Both fail as they should, so why does creating accounts using lti still work?
Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? or is this just a setting that i have missed somewhere?
I am using Moodle 3.1.1+ (Build: 20160817).
If we have one course where a user is a teacher and another where the same user is a student, then what role will their account have? They are in a different context so must be treated differently. But if they are in the same context, we can use the same user. Will come in handy once content-item is implemented on the provider side and in some cases people will want to select many different activities from one course and embed them separately
- Set up provider site
- Set up a consumer site
- Enable auth_lti and enrol_lti in the provider site.
- In the provider, create a course and create 2 assignments in the course
- Publish both as LTI tools via "Published as LTI tools" course cog menu item
- In the consumer site, go to site admin > plugins > activity modules > external tool > manage tools
- Using the 'Tool URL' text field, enter the Registration URL from the first assignment (seen via "Published as LTI tools" in the provider course).
- Click "Add legacy LTI" and confirm the creation of the tool.
- Repeat the process for the second assignment, using its registration URL.
- Edit both of the tools you just created and change their "tool configuration usage" so that they are visible in the course activity chooser.
- Now ,create a new course in the consumer site.
- Click to add an activity or resource
- Select the "Assignment 1" lti tool you just configured.
- Name it "assign 1" and save
- Click to add an activity or resource again
- Select the "Assignment 2" lti tool you just configured.
- Name it "assign 2" and save
- Now, enrol a student, s1
- Log out
- Log in as the student
- Launch both 'Assign 1" and "Assign 2" resource links in the consumer course
- Log out
- Log into the platform site as an admin and view the course participants
- Notice you see two users with the same name, corresponding to the two launches made by user s1.