If including an essay question in a Quiz activity which "requires passing grade" to mark as complete, the Quiz is never marked as complete. Once the essay is manually marked to give a student a pass grade, the activity completion remains unset.
As well as inaccurately reporting completion in the Activity Completion and Course Completion reports, this could cause problems if you are restricting student access to further content in the course based on the completion of the Quiz activity.
- Create a Quiz activity:
- set the "Grade to pass"
- set activity completion "Require passing grade"
- Include an essay question in the quiz
- Log in to the course as a student and attempt the quiz
- Quiz score should be "Not yet graded" and activity not marked as complete
- Log in to the course as a teacher and manually grade the essay so that the student meets the Quiz pass grade
- Notice that the activity completion is not updated for the student