Uploaded image for project: 'Moodle'
  1. Moodle
  2. MDL-59645

Flickr authentication flow stopped working

    XMLWordPrintable

    Details

    • Testing Instructions:
      Hide

      Notes for the tester

      • Note 1: When developing this, I was often experimenting the "OAuth 1.0 error: We did not obtain the request token - the service provider may be temporarily down." error when I was trying to access the Flickr API for the first time. This is a result of the "Bad, bad panda" error page returned by Flickr instead of the expected OAuth response token and it is very random. Just keep clicking the repository link (or reloading/reposting the page) and it starts working after couple of attempts :-/ I suspect that to be a Flickr/Yahoo side issue - and others seem to conclude the same.
      • Note 2: The repository search feature does not seem to work well: I never got a result when trying to search for something. But I am confident we do our side right and it is the Flickr side not handling the search "text" argument well (see https://www.flickr.com/services/api/flickr.photos.search.html ).
      • Note 3: Adding photos into photosets (albums) during portfolio export does not seem to work. But again, all the API call and their response seems correct, just the photo is not added.
      • Note 4: As a result of this patch, it is actually no longer needed to set up callback URLs in Flickr. So you may leave that field empty and use the same API key and secret for both repository and portfolio plugins.

      Tests

      1. Check that the Flickr repository works again, allowing the user to authorize the Moodle site to access their photos.
      2. Check that the Flickr portfolio works again, allowing the user to authorize the Moodle site to upload photos to Flickr
      Show
      Notes for the tester Note 1: When developing this, I was often experimenting the "OAuth 1.0 error: We did not obtain the request token - the service provider may be temporarily down." error when I was trying to access the Flickr API for the first time. This is a result of the "Bad, bad panda" error page returned by Flickr instead of the expected OAuth response token and it is very random. Just keep clicking the repository link (or reloading/reposting the page) and it starts working after couple of attempts :-/ I suspect that to be a Flickr/Yahoo side issue - and others seem to conclude the same . Note 2: The repository search feature does not seem to work well: I never got a result when trying to search for something. But I am confident we do our side right and it is the Flickr side not handling the search "text" argument well (see https://www.flickr.com/services/api/flickr.photos.search.html ). Note 3: Adding photos into photosets (albums) during portfolio export does not seem to work. But again, all the API call and their response seems correct, just the photo is not added. Note 4: As a result of this patch, it is actually no longer needed to set up callback URLs in Flickr. So you may leave that field empty and use the same API key and secret for both repository and portfolio plugins. Tests Check that the Flickr repository works again, allowing the user to authorize the Moodle site to access their photos. Check that the Flickr portfolio works again, allowing the user to authorize the Moodle site to upload photos to Flickr
    • Affected Branches:
      MOODLE_31_STABLE, MOODLE_32_STABLE, MOODLE_33_STABLE, MOODLE_34_STABLE
    • Fixed Branches:
      MOODLE_32_STABLE, MOODLE_33_STABLE
    • Pull from Repository:
    • Pull 3.3 Branch:
      MDL-59645-33-flickr
    • Pull Master Branch:
      MDL-59645-master-flickr
    • Sprint:
      3.4 Sprint 5

      Description

      Something has caused the Flickr repository to break. You can no longer link Moodle to a flickr account.

      It seems that Flickr never enters the auth flow (or silently aborts). If you are already signed into flickr in your browser, you just go to the flickr home page, if you aren't signed in, then you go to the sign in page, login, then go to the flickr home page. The callback to Moodle never happens, and the popup never closes.

      Confirmed on multiple sites that were previously working, including Moodle.org.

      It seems likely that this is something on the Flickr side, but I am unclear if they changes something about the auth flow that needs to be updated in the Moodle code, or if this is a "glitch" on their end.

      Edit: During the development it was revealed that this actually affects other flickr integration plugins too and the scope of the issue was extended.

        Attachments

          Issue Links

            Activity

              People

              • Votes:
                0 Vote for this issue
                Watchers:
                7 Start watching this issue

                Dates

                • Created:
                  Updated:
                  Resolved:
                  Fix Release Date:
                  13/Nov/17