On Moodle sites where messaging is disabled, the notification counter in the navbar does not indicate how many new notifications a user has and remains hidden.
This has been tested and replicated using both Clean and Boost themes
- Make sure that web notifications are turned on with the test user
- Enable messaging on the site
- Complete an action that triggers a notification like submitting an assignment
- Confirm that the notification counter works as intended.
- Now turn off messaging on the site. *** Note the previous notification will stay until cleared. Clear the notification.
- Submit another assignment or any other task that triggers a notification.
- Confirm that the notification counter will not be displayed, click on the icon and confirm that the notification is there in the list, just not shown in the counter.