Type: New Feature
Affects Version/s: 3.4, 3.5.12, 3.6.10, 3.7.6, 3.8.3, 3.9
Fix Version/s: None
Component/s: Web Services
Affected Branches:MOODLE_34_STABLE, MOODLE_35_STABLE, MOODLE_36_STABLE, MOODLE_37_STABLE, MOODLE_38_STABLE, MOODLE_39_STABLE
Have you ever tried to automate a sync between Moodle and a Student Information System (or other system) - what a time consuming, complex, and expensive task!
This project is proposed to have Moodle implement the IMS Global "OneRoster 1.0" standard (https://www.imsglobal.org/activity/onerosterlis). Implementation of this standard is necessary so that:
- Existing, or new adopters, of moodle can automate easily courses, users, roles, grades to/from moodle to existing systems,
- Ensure integrations between systems are simple, fast and cost effective, and
- Ultimately, reduce overheads for new institutions to uptake moodle.
A full list of currently certified applications can be seen here: https://www.imsglobal.org/one-roster-certified-products (where, one can see that this list now includes most major competitors to Moodle - including but not limited to Canvas, D2L, Google SDS, Microsoft SDS, and Pearson). It's time for Moodle to get on board with this global interoperability standard
- Project size: medium
- Audience: primary schools, universities, work places (all)
- Target users: administrators (benefits to all however)
- To ensure Moodle conforms to global interoperability standards.
- To ensure Moodle can be easily, quickly, and cost effectively synchronised with other external systems.
- To reduce the time/cost required for new sites to integrate with Moodle (significant blocker for new adopters).
User stories should be specific to each requirement and provide a clear view of what you want the improvement/new feature to accomplish.
As a product, Moodle should be able to utilise OneRoster 1.0 API's to automate courses, users, permissions, grades to/from external systems.
As a product, Moodle should be OneRoster 1.0 Certified under IMS Global
As a product, Moodle (through IMS Global Certification) should be able to compete globally with other LMS providers who conform to this standard.
- Conform to, and be certified in, IMS Global OneRoster 1.0: https://www.imsglobal.org/activity/onerosterlis
- Implement as a plugin (or core) ability to activate specific OneRoster actions into moodle
- This is largely an administrative item and not visible to editingteacher, teacher, or student roles (so UX is less of a concern).
- OneRoster API specification: https://www.imsglobal.org/activity/onerosterlis
- List of OneRoster certified products: https://www.imsglobal.org/one-roster-certified-products