Affects Version/s: 3.5.3
Fix Version/s: None
Component/s: User Tours
User tours are a potentially powerful feature, but creation of useful tours has lagged behind other documentation efforts. Part of the reason for this is that identifying elements on the page is cumbersome. Many users (even site administrators) are not familiar with how to specify css selectors.
This proposal is to provide a "create tour" button to those with an appropriate capability defined, which will generate a "skeleton" tour with the following features:
- Name of tour based on type of page the user is currently on
- One step created for each active element (field, button, or column header) currently on the page
- Title of each step drawn from language strings (language used is the one set as default by the current user)
- Content of each step drawn from language help strings
- Target of each step generated automatically
The Tour should be created in "Not enabled" state, so the creator can edit it as needed before making it visible.
Related: we should have a way to check Moodle for form elements with no help text,
Also related: it would help to have a way to automatically flag form elements that have been added during an upgrade or installation, to re-enable Tours on pages of those elements