I have a lot of plugins added to my server. I did the update to all the plugins before trying to upgrade. Poodll extensions need some manual upgrade procedures for the normal reasons. I added a bunch of themes too.
After the "git pull" ran successfully I went back to the Moodle site to finish the job. It launched the thing to finish automatically, but got stuck on "mod_assignment". It was a looping impasse with no apparent way out. I couldn't login as admin and do anything but the automatic script. I tried some things manually to break the impasse and nothing really worked I moved the "/mod/assignment" folder out of the web root folder and the infinite loop finally ran through to completion. I couldn't login though after the database update ran. I tried putting that folder back in and still no difference. I'm dead in the water where after every correct userid/password I get the message:
Error reading from database
I tried changing the head with Git and rolling back to 3.5 Stable but it made no difference.