Affects Version/s: 3.8
Fix Version/s: None
A) Verify the docs have been updated with the information about PHP 7.4 support., at very least:
A) Verify the docs have been updated with the information about PHP 7.4 support., at very least: PHP 7.x support: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_and_PHP7 Upgrade notes: https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Upgrading Release notes (future to be created), see https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_3.7_release_notes#Server_requirements as example
- PHP 7.x support: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_and_PHP7
- Upgrade notes: https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Upgrading
- Release notes (future to be created), see https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_3.7_release_notes#Server_requirements as example
Epic Name:Prepare Moodle for PHP 7.4
An, hopefully, small epic to turn Moodle ready for PHP 7.4 (end of 2019).
When: Being cristal clear (aka transparent), the ideal target release for this is Moodle 3.8.0 (aka, supported since the very beginning of the branch), but be warned that full support may arrive later in any Moodle 3.8.x minor release in the branch, depending of a number of factors (extensions availability and bugs, 3rd part libraries, last minute surprises...).
Some initial links:
- Main changes explained: https://stitcher.io/blog/new-in-php-74
- Changes detailed: https://github.com/php/php-src/blob/PHP-7.4/UPGRADING
- Accepted RFCs: https://wiki.php.net/rfc#php_74
- Deprecations: https://wiki.php.net/rfc/deprecations_php_7_4
Some basic requirements for this:
- get unit and acceptance tests passing.
- check all the changes details have been reviewed and fixed (attached file).
- ensure older versions of Moodle don't work with PHP 7.4 (
- get travis working with the new php version (MDL-66263)
- get moodle-php-apache docker images working with the new php version
- Update docs (and others, see testing instructions) once this is ready.
For reference, WIP is being glued, for automated testing purposes @ https://github.com/stronk7/moodle/compare/master...php74