Affects Version/s: 3.5.7, 3.7
Fix Version/s: None
Component/s: LTI provider
Affected Branches:MOODLE_35_STABLE, MOODLE_37_STABLE
As I understand, The "Grade to Pass" feature is simply designed to change the gradebook column color red or green depending on how the student did on the assignment. For some reason, when the feature is used, our gradebook export feature is not able to populate the column with data. If the moodle-activity was created without using this feature, then the export works perfectly.
Tested on 3.5 and 3.7 (most testing done on demo.moodle.net)
Note: Steps assume Echo360 is configured as an external tool, with outcomes enabled, already.
- Login to Moodle as an Instructor
- click into a course
- click on "General" from the left-hand menu
- Click on the gear in the upper-right corner
- enable editing mode
- click on "Add an activity or resource"
- Add Echo360
- Set Maximum grade to 100
- Set Grade to Pass > 0
- Save and Launch the activity
- Link the course to an Echo360 section
- Login as a student enrolled in that course
- Click on the Echo360 Activity
- Click to watch content
- As the instructor
- click on the Echo360 LTI link
- click on "Analytics"
- click on "Export & Gradebook"
- Export the link from the bottom of the page
Expected Results: Grades are exported and added to the moodle gradebook
Observed Results: Grades are exported but not added to the moodle gradebook
- Client is using version 3.5 and the issue persists up to version 3.7. Testing completed on demo.moodle.net
- Our system shows that the gradebook export is 100% successful. For example:
And the values match the LTI launch from the student so I know it's going to the right spot
- The LTI launches all contain correct lis_result_sourcedid data for postback
- Data above is from testing on demo.moodle.net. I have a lot of client-site data (moodle 3.5) but its essentially the same.
- The student LTI launch contains valid gradebook data
- grades exist
- I have not found any errors in our logging to indicate an ssl exception, or similar, when sending the grades back to moodle.
- We're following the LTI spec from https://www.imsglobal.org/specs/ltiv1p1/implementation-guide
- Moodle LTI Tool allows for outcomes
- Assignment also configured for outcomes -
This doesn't appear to be a bug per say, however, it appears that we might need to do something different when the "Grade to Pass" feature is utilized within the Moodle-Activity. Something about the "Grade to Pass" feature impacts the POX we send back for the gradebook.
Being more familiar with Moodle's expectations, is there anything that we could do differently when this setting is in-use? Instructors like to use it to help ensure their students are on track and the same users really like our export feature.
Just trying to figure out what I'm missing so we can get this working correctly for our tool consumer