When ticking an activity as a Course completion criterion after already configuring Activity completion tracking (and a user having completed the activity), the Course completion report lists the time the activity was enabled for Course completion, rather than using the actual completion time already gathered for the activity (listed in the Activity completion report).
Steps to replicate:
- Ensure Enable Completion tracking turned on in course settings
- Enrol test student in course
- Add an Assignment activity to the course
- Enter title and fill in any required fields
- Untick all settings under 'Availability'
- Require students to click the submit button>Yes
- Completion tracking>Show activity complete when conditions are met>Student must submit to this activity to complete it
- Save and return to course
- Log in as test student and submit a file to the assignment
- Log back in as admin or teacher account
- Go to Course administration>Reports>Activity completion and note the time/date for completion of the assignment by test student
- Wait 5 minutes before next step
- Go to Course administration>Course completion
- Course is complete when ALL conditions are met
- Tick the assignment under Condition: Activity completion
- Save changes
- Go to Course administration>Reports>Course completion
- Find the student's tick for the assignment and note the time/date for the completion of the assignment
Course completion tracking lists the time of completion as the time that Course completion was enabled for that assignment (or shortly after when the cron next runs).
Course completion tracking lists the time the assignment was actually completed according to the assignment completion tracking settings that were already in effect.
Impact on users:
Teachers who decide to enable Course completion tracking after having already set up Activity completion tracking will see discrepancies on the date/time completed when comparing the Activity completion and Course completion reports. This can cause confusion as to why the dates are different.