We use Moodle within our university. However, students often don't dare asking questions on course fora, for being afraid of asking dumb questions. If it would be possible to post to forums anonymously (as a student), this would greatly lower the barrier for students to use the forums, and thus yield higher student engagement within the course.
I can imagine not all lecturers wish that students can post anonymously, so it would require some administration logic to enable anonymous posting, either over the whole application, or within courses individually.
Probably this would require:
- an extra column in the database table where forum posts are stored
- front end logic of showing a "post anonymously" checkbox next to the text field when writing a forum post
- some front end logic whether to show the name of the author of a post, or not (depending on the post being anonymous or not)
- a field in a administration/configuration database table whether anonymous posting is allowed
- some front end logic on an administration page on whether anonymous posting is allowed
It would be great to have some feedback on whether this feature request will be considered for a future release.