It looks like the course settings menu is more designed for administrators, while teachers use it all the time... and get lost.
I suggest to reorder them:
Near the top
- Turn editing on: should be first, that is what teachers use a lot
- Question bank: used a lot. At the top please
- reports (activity completion, course participation) used a lot
- recycle bin: can be handy in times
In the middle
- import: happens occasionally
- gradebook setup: rare
- outcomes: would be great if that feature was fully developed
- badges, for who uses that
At the end
- Edit settings: only used on course creation, mostly with default settings if the site is set up well.
- Course completion: one time of setting.
- Filters: one time setting - hardly changed by teachers.
- backup: sysadmin should do that
- restore: sysadmin should do that