The Workshop activity skips the scheduled allocation step when the activity availability is set to automatically switch to next phase after the submissions deadline and the number of allocations exceeds number of participants. This is importante since the default number of participants which can be chosen from the drop-down list is 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,15,20,30. So it is impossible to match the number of students above 10 since the exact number are not in the drop down list.
To replicate, you will need to:
- Have a course with instructor and student(s)
- Create a basic workshop activity with the minimum requirements
- In Availability setting, specify a Submissions deadline and check the box for "Switch to the next phase after the submissions deadline"
- Complete the Setup phase and go to the Submission phase and Schedule to allocation submissions more submissions than students available [I need to do this because I have about 25 students but only 30 is available from the drop-down list]
- Student(s) to submit something (only 1 is fine, if you allow student to assess without submitting)
At the deadline, Submission phase changes to Assessment phase, but no submissions have been allocated.
Note: when the number of allocations matches or is inferior to the number of participants, the automatic allocation works fine.
Note: this might also be related to: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-68944