After allowing a new attempt for an assignment submission, i.e. no file submitted for current attempt, the view/grade submissions screen still displays the file that was submitted in the last attempt. This could be confusing for teachers as they may think the student has uploaded a new submission file, whereas in actual fact their current submission is still blank.
Here are the replication steps:
- Create an assignment and set 'Attempts reopened' to 'Manually'
- Upload and submit a file on behalf of the student
- Observe the 'View/grade submissions' screen - note the file you just submitted displays under 'File submissions' for the student (expected)
- Allow another attempt for the student
- Observe the 'View/grade submissions' screen - Note that the file previously submitted is still displayed under 'File submissions' for the student (rather than blank to indicate the student has not yet uploaded a file for this attempt)