- There are a good list of xmlrpc related issues in the tracker (35 at the time of writing this).
- PHP 8.0 has moved the xmlrpc extension out from core, now available @ PECL (in "beta" status right now - RC2).
- We use XMLRPC in various places:
- Mnet: Both inter-server communication and authentication plugin.
- Webservices: As a supported protocol on its own.
- Portfolio (mahara).
- Exceptions here and there because we are using (incorrectly) stuff within webservice/xmlrpc plugin from other parts of Moodle. (See MDL-56879 for example).
- We continue using XMLRPC
- PECL one [or]
- PHP-only alternative 3rd party lib.
- We stop using XMLRPC
- Removing features [or]
- Changing features to another WS protocol.
In any case, this requires to be analysed, use by use, and come with a clear outcome (can imagine this becoming an epic) for each. But current situation is really bad (all the points exposed), and we should aim to change that.
Moodle 4.0 could be a good moment to break this nut!