THIS IS AN MUA PROJECT PROPOSAL THAT WILL BE OR HAS BEEN SUBMITTED FOR POSSIBLE MUA FUNDING. ANY EXISTING TRACKER ITEMS THAT THIS MIGHT DUPLICATE SHOULD BE LINKED TO BELOW.
The database activity is one of the oldest activities in Moodle, and it is one of the most flexible and powerful modules as well. However, it is one of the more difficult ones for users to master because of its unfriendly user interface and its user experience issues. This project identified the problem areas in both the database activity's UI and UX and then developed possible solutions in the form of design documents and project proposals.
- Project size: large
- Audience: primary schools, universities, work places
- Target users: teachers, administrators, students (The database would be easier to use for the students.)
- Add more database presets
- Similar to the template gallery in Google Forms.
- Add a time limit for entering data.
- Allow special tags to be accessible in the header/footer regions of the list view
- Student ID, name, email, etc
- Add more (optional) views, not just "list" or "single".
- Restrict access to different views.
- Customize the view names.
- i.e Student view, teacher view with access restrictions
- for the purpose of anonymizing entries in the DB.
- Shows line numbers, possible syntax errors, etc.
- Simplify ratings permissions
- Simpler UI not requiring complex Moodle permissions page
- Allow for the reorder of fields on the field set up the page
- Pop up window when a change to the settings will make information viewable to all students/not to only the creator of the entry.
- Lock feature to keep entries private.
- Link to next activity or page after submission.
- Improvement of Database module for CSV importing
- Whole database grading (like Moodle Enhanced Forums).
- Allow ratings on unapproved entries
- Make ratings private for each student
- Make comments exportable for grading purposes**
These can be seen in the recording of the presentation given at the Moodle Association of Japan’s 2021 Moot. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/11VXZ41Gne_iOS23mZWHI-UBbgAgZKmLZ/view?usp=sharing )
Links to existing tracker issues, forum discussions, contrib plugins
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ss6eN0kPk4GgX8ppyCWSrqhQcwtTYahMGrE_pIn-vyg/edit?usp=sharing (This is a link to a Google Sheet with all of the tracker issues related to this project.)
https://github.com/nakaharatt/moodle-mod_data (This is a link to prototypes. The functions demonstrated do not work, but show how they would look. These were created by Takahiro Nakahara.)
https://github.com/yasada0819/moodle_datac (This is a link to a plugin to improve the importing of CSV docs. It was submitted to the Moodle Association of Japan’s Best Moodle Innovation contest in 2020. It was submitted by Yoshikazu ASADA, the president of MAJ.)
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1kB5Z67nipISpwfGAZ97kKz_0ZBFoewEzS4sa1ZPwBMU/edit?usp=sharing (This is a slide deck from a presentation about the Database Enhancement Project made at the 2021 Moodle Association of Japan Moot. It has screenshots of the enhancements that we would like to see made to the database activity.)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11VXZ41Gne_iOS23mZWHI-UBbgAgZKmLZ/view?usp=sharing (This is a video of a presentation made at the 2021 Moodle Association of Japan Moot.)
- has a non-specific relationship to
MDL-70384 Let add database fields dialogues use Bootstrap to look like other pages
MDL-40084 Export files in database activity export
- Waiting for integration review
- has been marked as being related by
MDL-58680 Apply filtering to database templates