Prepare Moodle for PHP 8.1
A) Verify the docs have been updated with the information about PHP 8.1 support., at very least:
- PHP 8.1 support: https://moodledev.io/general/development/policies/php
- Release notes in all the branches affected, see:
- (to be created)for 4.1: https://moodledev.io/general/releases/4.1#server-requirements
B) Verify that master (4.1dev) can be installed using PHP 8.1
C) Verify that a 39_STABLE site can be upgraded to master (4.1dev) using PHP 8.1
D) Check that all CI jobs are passing ok with PHP 8.1.A) Verify the docs have been updated with the information about PHP 8.1 support., at very least: PHP 8.1 support: https://moodledev.io/general/development/policies/php Release notes in all the branches affected, see: (to be created)for 4.1: https://moodledev.io/general/releases/4.1#server-requirements B) Verify that master (4.1dev) can be installed using PHP 8.1 C) Verify that a 39_STABLE site can be upgraded to master (4.1dev) using PHP 8.1 D) Check that all CI jobs are passing ok with PHP 8.1.
Accumulative branches (with all the pending stuff still not upstream) are:
The, hopefully small, epic to turn Moodle ready for PHP 8.1.
When: Being cristal clear (aka transparent), the ideal target release for this is Moodle 4.1.0 (aka, supported since the very beginning of the branch), but be warned that full support may arrive later in any Moodle 4.1.x minor release in the branch, depending of a number of factors (extensions availability and bugs, 3rd part libraries, last minute surprises...).
Some initial links:
- Main changes explained: https://stitcher.io/blog/new-in-php-81 and https://php.watch/versions/8.1.
- Changes detailed: https://github.com/php/php-src/blob/PHP-8.1/UPGRADING.
- Accepted RFCs: https://wiki.php.net/rfc#php_81.
Some basic requirements for this:
- get unit and acceptance tests passing against all databases (may imply the need of upgrading phpunit/behat...).
- check all the changes details have been reviewed and fixed (attached file). Note that, until release, this file is considered WIP and subject to changes!
- ensure older versions of Moodle don't work with PHP 8.1 (MDL-73017)
- get travis and gha working with the new php version (MDL-73018)
- verify that the apache logs are clean of PHP 8.1 notices/warnings/errors (MDL-73019)
- get moodle-php-apache docker images working with the new php version
- verify that php-parallel-lint/php-parallel-lint and others pass for all php versions (MDL-73406)
- search in the tracker for any issue created about "php 8.1" or "php81". Add them to this epic after analysing them.
- Update docs (and others, see testing instructions) once this is ready.
And some tasks to do once this is upstream:
TODO 1: Review the travis and/or github actions configuration for various repositories. The new PHP version needs to be covered. Known to need review / fix repos include:
TODO 2: Verify that this PR has been fixed/hopefully released @ MinkExtension (new PHP 8 warning) and update our dependencies to it.
All the issues belonging to this epic should be pulled into master only (unless they are bug fixes requiring patching older, still supported, branches)