I am experiencing a very long time to upload enrolments in cohort_synch in Moodle 3.10 which is most frustrating.
Has anyone had difficulty uploading student to courses?
Method 1: Upload users using CSV for enrolments to courses and to groups.
Method 2: Cohort sync added as enrolment method to a course
Doing the Method 1, i used a csv file to upload users for existing users update which will enroll the existing users to several courses and to separate groups in it. We have 20 to 33 users in the csv file. The time to complete this process takes an hour or so. See images attached
This also happens using Method 2, using the cohort sync as the enrollment method with 20 to 33 users per cohort, it takes 28 minutes and sometimes an hour for the system task to complete. See attached screenshot of Task log. This also happen when removing the cohort from the course enrollment method. While the enrol cohort sync is running, as Admin, I cannot do anything more on the Moodle but to only wait for the enrollment to finish.
(28 mins 20.28 secs) https://courses.bhaktilearning.com/admin/tasklogs.php?logid=26729716
Execute scheduled task: Cohort enrolment sync task (enrol_cohort\task\enrol_cohort_sync) ... started 14:11:01. Current memory use 22MB. ... used 114 dbqueries ... used 1700.2805020809 seconds Scheduled task complete: Cohort enrolment sync task (enrol_cohort\task\enrol_cohort_sync)
(56 mins 41.3 secs) https://courses.bhaktilearning.com/admin/tasklogs.php?logid=26764849
Execute scheduled task: Cohort enrolment sync task (enrol_cohort\task\enrol_cohort_sync) ... started 14:11:01. Current memory use 21.3MB. ... used 1107 dbqueries ... used 3401.3026380539 seconds Scheduled task complete: Cohort enrolment sync task (enrol_cohort\task\enrol_cohort_sync)
Execute scheduled task: Cohort enrolment sync task (enrol_cohort\task\enrol_cohort_sync) ... started 19:11:02. Current memory use 21.3MB. ... used 636 dbqueries ... used 3700.7238149643 seconds Scheduled task complete: Cohort enrolment sync task (enrol_cohort\task\enrol_cohort_sync)
We have considered the possibility of it being a server issue but that has been ruled out.
>>>> DigitalOcean Support message below:
Thank you for your patience as I researched this! I'm so sorry to hear about this very slow enrollment. Not only is that taking a long time, but it's also just small enough of a time to keep your sort of chained to your computer so that you can start the next one every half an hour. I can't imagine how frustrating that would be.
In investigating this, I'm not seeing any high CPU usage on your Droplet, which is riding around 10%. I'm also not seeing high RAM usage, which is at a nice 50%.
I've also been finding many many Moodle users that are having the same issue.
Putting this information together, this issue isn't something related to the infrastructure that your Moodle sits atop, rather, it's a problem with Moodle itself. Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot of possible causes of this. Since I'm not an expert in Moodle (just the infrastructure it sits atop), I'm not knowledgeable enough about Moodle to know how to figure out which issue is causing this one. I suggest reaching out to the Moodle support team directly for more help in diagnosing this.
I can almost guarantee that Moodle's support team is going to need to see your debugging log in order to troubleshoot this. If you gather that and submit that debug log in your first email to them, it may help the ticket reach a resolution faster. Here's their documentation on how to enable debugging: https://docs.moodle.org/402/en/Debugging
I hope this information helps!
We value your feedback! After your ticket closes we will send you an email survey, please let us know how we did.