- Log in as a teacher and go to your Private files.
- Upload a file and save changes.
- Go to a course where you have teacher rights, turn editing on and add a file resource.
- Select the file you uploaded to your Private files, choosing 'Create an alias/shortcut to the file' then save changes.
- Backup the course, and at the end of backup process, verify that a warning is displayed: "File references to external contents are included in the backup file. These won't work if the backup is restored on a different site."
- Download the backup file.
- Restore the course on another Moodle site, such as the Moodle Sandbox demo site.
- At the end of restore process, verify that a warning is displayed saying that some files cannot be restored because they are references.
- Restore the course on the original site.
- Verify that no warning is displayed and that all file references are restored correctly.