For this test, while not necessary, it is helpful to have two browsers (ie Firefox and IE) or two computers so you can use Moodle as two separate users.
Required: a course containing two or more grade items with at least one grade item containing a mark for at least one student. You'll need enough marks to get a course total for the student. Entering overridden grades is sufficient if necessary.
1. Go to "Set up>Categories and items" and make sure all grade items are visible (all eye icons are open).
2. As the student view the user report and verify that all grade items are visible. Make a note of the course total.
3. View the student's overview report. Check that the course total matches the user report.
4. As a teacher, in the Administration block, expand "Grade administration" and click "Course grade settings".
5. Check that both user report and overview report "Hide totals if they contain hidden items" are set to Hide.
6. Return to the categories and items page and hide one grade item for which the student has a grade using the 'eye' icon.
7. As the student reload the user report and verify that the grade item has been hidden. The course total should also have been hidden.
8. As the student view the overview report and verify that the course total has been hidden.
9. As the teacher return to the course settings page and set both overview and user report "Hide totals if they contain hidden items" to "show totals excluding hidden items".
10. As the student reload both the user and overview report. The course total should be visible on both however the course total should be different than at step 2 due to the hidden grade item not being included in calculations.
11. As the teacher return to the categories and items screen and unhide the grade item.
12. As the student reload the user and overview report. Verify the user report is displaying the grade item and the both reports show the course total from step 2.