This test requires an empty Moodle course in topics or weekly format with a teacher and student enrolled. News items should have been set to 0 and the default news forum deleted.
1. Log in as a teacher and go to Administration>Course administration>Edit settings.
2. Scroll down and expand Course format, and from Format select 'single activity format'.
3. When the page refreshes, choose 'Assignment' for the type of activity.
4. Save the changes.
5. Give a name and description (eg 'test') to the assignment which next appears, and click Save and display.
6. Log out and log in as a student and click on the course name. Verify you are taken straight to the assignment.
7. Log out and log back in as the teacher and click on the course name.
8. Verify you are taken straight to the assignment.
9. Repeat steps 1 - 8 for a different activity, such as forum.
10. Finally, go to Administration>Course administration>Edit settings>Course Format and from Format select "topic format". Click "Save and display"
11. Verify the course now displays as topics format (with the single activity in one section.)