Notes about forum subscription plugin from Juan:
Nice hack, extends navigation to add JS into the menu, so doesn't need to touch core at all!
- Note though that this manually inserts 'YUI tree html' by hand, and looks likely to break in changes with yui/themes etc. Its fragile.
- Performance impact of that could be something worth considering because it has to check if forum exists, capabilites etc etc in the JS, even though this is probably already known by moodle itself. This is a bit of a limitation because of the need for the 'hack'.
Also, its a major deficiency that it is completely indepdent from existing forum subscriptions. So:
- If you use digests, you'll get two digests - the current forum subscription digests and the 'thread digest', maybe with some of the same forum posts..
- If you don't use digests you'll get two emails about the same thread if subscribed to thread and forum.
- There are two bits of fairly identical code, the core forum code and this plugin. The logic looks like it is basically copied from core, but that core logic is horribly complex, so we have that complexity in two places.
In summary, I think this solution would be a half-baked solution for people who use traditional subscriptions and thread subscriptions at the same time in the present state. i.e. most users on moodle.org...
I think we'd need to really look at the forum emailing code in the existing and new code to see how these interact.