With CVS being abandoned completely in January 2013, it's time to switch all the dependent stuff @ download.moodle.org to it. This involves:
1) Create one packager that, given one commit/tag/branch is able to build the corresponding package using git as source.
2) Switch from current nightly/daily executed scripts to better git hook based solution.
3) Modify the generation of windows and windows_wpi packages from CVS to git.
4) Modify the detection of available moodle versions in the updates API from CVS to git.
5) Verify all the scripts @ download.moodle.org, switching any use from CVS to git.
6) Cleanup unused scripts.
7) Improve the sync with sourceforge.
8) Improve the download/index.php page generation to dynamically change based on available/supported packages.
9) Document how everything is done (scripts, cron, uses...) once implemented.
10) Modify/adjust the minor & major releases Moodle Docs / mdlrelease process to define the git packaging system.
That's all I can imagine for now. Subtasks will be created to keep the process clear.