The structure of subjects is taken from the educational statistics category system in Australia and based on a UNESCO category scheme with some local changes. During several tests and discussions we see that this concepts doesn't work in other regions well.
Actually hub searching is not a meta search about several hubs. We suggest to make a major change in this concept.
Here's our idea:
- the structure of subjects can be redefined on hub level
- if a teacher starts searching he selects at first a hub he wants to do the search.
- a new pages opens and loads the subject structure from the remote hub system
- the teacher selects a subject or better multiple subjects
- the search is started on the remote hub system.
We think this makes it much more usable.
On a first view this requires several changes:
Community finder block
- Hub selection and search form are on different pages
- Subject list is loaded from remote hub system while search form is opened.
May be it makes sense to think about other fields also.
- the default subject structure is the existing one.
- there is an option to upload a local subject structure from XML file and to replace the default structure.
If a teacher uploads a course the course should be connected to different edufield subjects. In educational statistice its required to have a related to exact one topic for a course. In course content seach we need a relation to several topics often for acourse. Lots of courses are related to a subject like history 18th century, Europe, teacher training and some social skills.
Actually its not possible to select more than one item.