Recent work @
MDLSITE-3252 leaded to some internal discussion about our current third-party library handling rules being too relaxed/undefined.
MDLSITE-3252: CiBoT check were the first approximation to the problem was implemented, looking forward for more strict rules to be able to improve it. MDL-42958: Policy (agreed) about deprecation of third party libraries. MDL-47147: About to review periodically the libs for new versions.
- NEWMODULE docs: About how a module can have its own third part libraries.
At the same time, we have found many inconsistencies here and there, some:
- Upper README_MOODLE.txt, wrong moodle_readme.txt occurrences.
- Wrongly placed (in subdirs or in component dirs) readme_moodle.txt.
- Sort of conflict and or gray area between readme_moodle.txt and upgrade.txt
So this policy issue is about to try to put all the elements on the table related with third party libraries and achieve, at least, these:
1) Agree about a simple and clear policy to add/update/hack/delete third party libraries.
2) Document it.
3) Enforce it.